3 large aubergines (eggplant)
3 large red peppers
1 large green pepper
4 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
3 spring onions, chopped
olive oil for drizzling
Juice of ½ a lemon
1 handful of fresh basil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Place each aubergine on the BBQ, until the skin is completely blackened and the aubergines are softened. (If you don’t have a BBQ place under a hot grill and rotate).
2. Repeat the same process for the peppers.
3. Discard the blackened skin from the aubergines and red peppers and chop up the sweet soft flesh inside.
4. On a chopping board or in a bowl, mix the aubergines and peppers with the chopped tomatoes, spring onions and fresh basil.
5. When serving, top with a few more basil leaves, a good squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil.
"This is a wonderful colourful summer dish. Kadriye tells me that lemon juice is used in almost every Turkish dish, to season it; it highlights and freshens the flavours."