150g canned chopped tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
100g totanetti, or squid (totanetti are tiny local squid)
100g vongole (clams)
½ glass white wine
1 generous splash of rum
1. Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat, add the onions then the garlic.
2. Add the tomatoes, totanetti and white wine, sauté for 5 minutes, evaporating the wine.
3. Allow sauce to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Plunge the spaghetti into a large pan of boiling salted water.
5. Meanwhile, add the shrimps and vongole to the sauce, then add the rum and stir.
6. Add a ladle of salty pasta water.
7. Cover the sauce with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes, on a low heat.
8. Cook the pasta for less time than required, drain it and add it to the sauce to finish cooking in the seafood sauce.
9. Top with parsley to serve.
"I’ve called this recipe ‘Ligurian’ merely because Claudio is from Liguria and has sourced all his ingredients locally; it can be reproduced anywhere that has a sea-shore."