300 g calf’s liver, finely sliced into 4 mm slices
1 white onion, finely sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon butter (25g)
1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place a heavy frying pan on a medium-high heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the onion slices, adding salt and pepper when the onion begins to soften.
2. To prepare the liver, remove the outer membrane and also any blemishes or blood vessels. Pat the liver into a square and then cut into 4mm thick slices.
3. When the onion is soft (not browned) take it out of the pan and set it aside.
4. Add the other tablespoon of olive oil to the pan plus a tablespoon of butter and put back on the heat.
5. Season the calf’s liver with salt and pepper, then add to the hot pan.
6. Toss it over the heat until just tender, add the onion and the finely-chopped parsley, and stir in for 30 seconds on the heat.
7. Serve with the roasted white polenta.
"It can be difficult to find white polenta flour outside of the Veneto but the yellow is just as good."