Serves 2-4 people as a mezze
6 pieces oven dried barley (or wheat) bread
1 whole garlic clove
1 large ripe tomato Olive oil
1 Handful of rocket leaves
1 tablespoon dried oregano
Salt to taste
1. Rub the garlic clove onto each piece of bread, on one or two sides (depending on how much you like garlic!)
2. Sprinkle a little water onto the bread and allow to soften it very slightly.
3. Generously drizzle the bread with olive oil. Let it soak in then turn the bread over and repeat
4. Sprinkle both sides of the bread with oregano.
5. Cut the top off the tomato and coarsely grate the tomato over the bread.
6. Serve with fresh rocket and a retsina or an ouzo
"Instead of topping the Dakos with tomatoes you can break them into mouth-sized pieces and add them to a Greek Salad – something we first tried on our honeymoon in Crete."