1 lt of cream
100g caster sugar
10 egg yolks
4 vanilla pods
4-5 tablespoons demerara sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 100°C (250°F, gas mark 1)
2. Split the vanilla pods in half and scrape out the seeds.
3. Add the seeds and the pods to the cream and gently heat for about 5-10 minutes, allowing the vanilla flavour to infuse the cream. DO NOT ALLOW THE CREAM TO BOIL.
4. Meanwhile, whisk the egg-yolks and sugar until thick and creamy.
5. Gradually fold in the warm cream mixture.
6. Strain the mixture into another pan then ladle into 8 individual shallow ramekin dishes
7. Place these in a high-sided baking pan and fill it with boiling water to half-way up the ramekin dishes (a bain marie)
8. Bake in the slow oven for 40-50 minutes – until just set.
9. Remove from the pan and allow to cool – then cover and refrigerate. This can be overnight if you wish.
10. Before serving, sprinkle the top of each ramekin with ½ tablespoon of demerara sugar.
11. Put them under a hot grill until the sugar browns or, preferably (for more control) use a blow-torch.
12. Allow the sugar to set hard and serve